a homeschool mom who lives a dream life

dreamgirl: 1) a girl who lives a dream life 2) a girl who dreams big

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Merry Christmas

Last night was the Leslie girls Christmas Eve. They will be going to their Dad's in Utah this Thursday, and last night was the only night that would work for our party, so last night was Christmas Eve.

Let me digress for a moment and explain Christmas in Southern Cal. I was Christmas shopping a few days ago, and I was walking by a fountain. First of all the fountain was running, and not frozen. And then two children ran up from behind me and through themselves in. Yes, it's hot here. Yesterday it hit a high of 81. I'm loving it. I know, I know. Don't I miss the seasons! Don't I dream of a white Christmas? No. N-O. Not at all. We spent two hours on Sunday night walking up and down streets with extravagant Christmas lights and weren't cold!!! I was born to live here and spent 34 years not knowing it. Of course I think I am still thawing out from my many years in SE Idaho.

So back to our early Christmas Eve. We had it at my place. Steve came of course, and Lizzie and Shad and their kids. We did the nativity play, which was less than reverent. We watched Small One. We exchanged gifts. Which required my girls and I to purchase a boy toy. It was a little bit of a challenge for all of us. I told Tanner later that I would have really rather bought him a Barbie. He thought that was pretty funny. In all seriousness, the Transformer we got him was the ugliest thing I have ever bought in my life. The minds of little boys are beyond my understanding. He also entertained us in dinner with snorting and burping. It was very funny, although it was new and different for us, I wouldn't change it. We had a marvelous time. Family, traditions, and holidays are so important. It's what life is made of.

After they left my family exchanged gifts and they opened up my gifts. I decided to go for one big gift this year, instead of lots of gifts. Aliese got a Cricut, Anna got a guitar, and Gracie got an American Girl. It was quite magical for them to focus on one gift. And then this morning is was fun all over again when they went back to their gifts.

I take the girls to Utah on Thursday, and I'll be back on Friday. Then I'll have 2 weeks off. As sad as I am that I won't be with them at Christmas, I'm really looking forward to a break and trying to look at that as a bright side. Steve and I are driving up to Mom and Dad's for Christmas. So I guess I'm dreaming of a rainy Christmas.

Love you all.

10 comments:

  1. Ohhh that's cool you're going to mom and dad's! Oh my goodness- I think I was meant to live in California too.......Idaho is such a sad state. For me anyway! My fingers are really cold as I type this because I just got inside from OUTSIDE where in reality, it's quite warmer than usual because it's raining...but it's still so cold that my fingers hurt! Ugh. Anyway...Sounds SO lovely. I loved the whole scene you painted with Tanner and how different it was for you guys. I love you soooooooooooo much. Too bad you're taking them to Utah, not Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you have to take them to Utah? why aren't you meeting in teh middle? I know I know- butt out. Your Christmas Eve sounded wonderful adn magical. I can't wait to have kids to share it with. It sounds liek so much fun. It will be really romantic for youa dn steve to jsut have Christmas jus the two of you, and traveling- christmas can be such a romantic time of the year when you're in love. love you! can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where, pray tell, did you get a copy of Small One? I have searched the internets every year until this year for a copy and have never been able to get one. Out of print, blah blah blah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dreaming of a rainy christmas? = )

    we loved coming to your house. thanks for inviting us. and i don't know what you're talking about with the play being "less than reverant". my kids in particular were very solemn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a great sense of humor! I'm glad you only have t drive to ST. George. We are very much looking forward to you and Steve coming. I love that traditions are still being carried on. I love small one! I wish I could have been a fly on the wall at your early Christmas Eve, it sounded wonderful! I love the Tanner comments, it is truly different and fun! I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, i must say, even though you don't miss Idaho, I feel pretty confident in speaking for Idaho as a whole when I say, "Idaho misses you!"

    Merry, Merry Christmas. Miss you terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your fun Christmas Eve. I think Tanner is a cute boy, and lots of fun, but boys are different!!! I loved meeting your Steve, he seems perfect for you. I so enjoyed seeing you for the short time, it was such fun. We cramed a lot of visiting in such a short time. Thanks for coming to see us. We love you so much Hugs and Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy to have seen your comment on another blog. I clicked your name and it took me here. I thought you still had a private blog I could not access. I read every post. You have had a lot of changes and have handled it well. Little Gracie has gone through the same changes and it sounds like perhaps for a short while it has all caught up to her. She will settle down, I promise. Meanwhile, I will give you a hug for her. I am a little short of money. I am so happy you live close to Lizzie. I am so happy you are engaged. I know your mom and dad spoke highly of him when I was at the coast. Do you have a day for the wedding?

    ReplyDelete
  9. mkay, I tried to call you but your phone is no longer in service. Please call me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love and miss you. Would love an update on your life! hugs.

    -Donette

    ReplyDelete